Home Forums Support How to record a refund

This topic contains 15 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Hillel Coren 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author

gmears
    Participant

Hi,
    If I refund an item. How do I record the refund after the invoice has been fully paid. If I edit the old invoice to remove the item, the customer has a negative balance which I can’t seem to record the refund/payment against. If I raise a new invoice to record a negative number of items in the sale, once again indicating the item has com back, I can’t seem to record the refunded amount (negative payments) back to the customer.

Thanks for your help.

Hillel Coren
    Keymaster

Try deleting the payment

gmears
    Participant

Would that work if the person has paid with a credit card through stripe?

How would I match the original stripe payment and the stripe refund to the edited invoice.

Is the only limitation in the current software that we can’t choose an invoice with a balance of 0 or less from the payment dialog? If so, it would seem like a relatively easy thing to change to allow a negative payment (refund) against an invoice.

Thanks

Hillel Coren
    Keymaster

With our latest version (to be released to invoiceninja.com this weekend) we support refunding Stripe payments from within the app.

katiei
    Participant

So, do you just make the refund in Stripe? I don’t see anyplace to issue a refund in InvoiceNinja. Please explain how to record a refund for a Stripe payment.

Hillel Coren
    Keymaster

On /payments if you click ‘Select’ you should see a refund option.

katiei
    Participant

Is there a way to do a partial refund??

Hillel Coren
    Keymaster

On /payments click ‘Select’ then ‘Refund Payment’

Yoav
    Participant

Hi Hillel,

I’ve issued an refund and on /payments it no longer says “completed” but “… refunded”, which is correct. However, on /invoices (where I keep it sorted by unpaid balance), the invoice shows up as partially unpaid, which is incorrect. How can I correct it?

Thank you
    Yoav

Hillel Coren
    Keymaster

Are you saying you processed a full refund but it only partially refunded the invoice?

Did the invoice have multiple payments?

Yoav
    Participant

No, I’m saying I processed a partial refund, acknowledged on /payments as a refund but on /invoice as if the client had made a partial payment (it was actually one payment, paid in full, then a partial refund). It shouldn’t show the invoice on /invoices as if there is a balance to be paid but acknowledge the refund as such, just like on /payments.

Hillel Coren
    Keymaster

If you processed a partial refund then then the client effectively made a partial payment.

Another option would be to create a credit note (ie, a negative invoice) rather than a payment refund.

Yoav
    Participant

99% of my clients only pay once so a refund needs to be a real refund, paid out to the client regardless of any future invoices.

And no, a partial refund doesn’t mean a partial payment. There is a very substantial difference between the two, which hopefully I don’t need to explain. The system needs to know the difference. On /payments, the system knows that it was a partial refund and not a partial payment, so obviously the data exists correctly but is being processed wrongly on /invoices. Can it be fixed on my side or does it need to be fixed on your side?

Hillel Coren
    Keymaster

Thanks for the feedback, we’ll keep it in mind for v2…

Yoav
    Participant

Thank you. In the meantime, how can I prevent fully paid invoices from showing up in red as partially unpaid?

Hillel Coren
    Keymaster

Not sure the best solution, you could manually add a payment for the refunded amount.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in: